As drivers make commitments to go to a pickup location when receiving a request, Uber can charge a cancellation fee to compensate them for the time and money spent doing so.
- If you cancel within 5 minutes of the driver accepting the trip, you won’t be charged.
- If you tap the cancel button after 5 minutes, we will let you know that a fee will apply if you confirm the cancellation.
- If for any reason your driver takes too long to get to you (the current ETA prediction for your driver shows the driver would arrive 5 minutes over the original ETA we provided) then the cancellation charge will be waived.
- A cancellation fee will always apply if a trip is cancelled after it has begun.
- If you are not at the pickup location or your driver cannot get in touch with you, the cancellation fee will apply if the driver is at your pickup location and has waited for over 5 minutes. This means that the fee can still apply even when your driver is the one to cancel the trip.
Cancellation fee amounts vary by city and vehicle options and can be found on your city's page.